Monday, January 17, 2011

I Just Realized...

I have posted nothing in 2011...

Things have been busy here in Taipei... I have been running, running, running... it's hard to believe that I'll be leaving Taiwan in less than a week and I must say, I am quite sad to be leaving. I have fallen in love with the people and have been learning so much since I've been here. I feel like I have made life-long friends that will always be a part of my life in some form or another and I hope to be able to come back before the end of this year if I can find work in my field.

I have a couple of interviews to take care of before I head home... one with "Rose" and one hopefully, but yet to be finalized, with Tobie Openshaw... a documentarian living here in Taipei. I am interested in learning more about his work on the Betelnut Girls... a project he's been working on and the culture behind it... I'll also be talking about Religion and Culture and how the Taiwanese explain conversion to Christianity... It will be fun and exciting and I'll have the chance to learn even more than I have already since I've been here.

So things that I have learned since I've been here:
1) Taiwanese people are incredibly nice and are always willing to share their culture with you.
2) They are a shy people, that even if they can speak some English, they will not for fear of making mistakes.
3) There is little to no crime... however I don't know what corporal punishment is here and if that is the factor.
4) The temples, although beautiful, have a dark and oppressive feel... quite ominous in knowing that their gods of wood, metal and stone will never hear their prayers...
5) Many Taiwanese want to see their land healed by God and their people saved.
6) The food is wonderful... even if some of it is freeze dried and looks at you while you eat it.
7) There is a hunger and thirst for God and his Spirit, even if they don't realize it yet.
8) There is a strong respect for the elders here... something Americans should learn and adopt.
9) People live simply here... it's not about living in wealth... they do what they need to in order to survive/ After 30, they should have a steady job and be finished with school.
10) They are eager to teach you their language and always want to know what you think about their country.

I have learned so much more that can't be placed in words, but I will try and write more once I figure it out. that's all for now I suppose.

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment